Sunday, January 16, 2011

"because this is kind of embarrassing"

"tiny prayers"

where am i going to use that line?
the one about the streetlamps
glinting off the moon
and the fire in my head
how am i to embrace anything
when I'm too busy yammering at myself?

i could write a million more
(and probably will)
poems about women i've pulled from under my skin
they always share vauge features with women i've loved
things that ended badly, or never got started
i've mastered all this, god let it evolve

i've been as happy writing about death
as writing about a lover's skin
and i've hid behind the ink
only to throw poems like bombs at the world
and i've watched them drop
as if i'd never pulled the pin

ignorance is love, and it breathes
which might be why i feel i'm safe
but maybe i'm only blind, or deaf, or both
maybe i'm simply burning time, or playing a long con
the tricky kind, this ones on myself
but maybe i'm waking up, maybe i'm taking my bullshit out with the trash


This is the best thing I've written since probably October, though it doesn't have a lot of competition. I'm especially proud of the third stanza. Very introspective, again, obviously. There's a lot of real shit here, a lot of  real worries.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, and a lot of growth. It's awesome to watch you become healthy and strong. I have been waiting to see this! :)

    ReplyDelete